Friday, November 27, 2009

What are Credited Contributions?

If you are an employee, Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) deductions are made from your earnings each week. Your PRSI contributions to the Social Insurance Fund can help you to qualify for social insurance payments, such as Jobseeker's Benefit and State Pension (Contributory).

A credited social insurance contribution is a contribution given to you without a PRSI payment. Some social welfare payments, including pension payments, allow you to combine your paid and credited contributions to help you qualify for a social insurance payment.

To qualify for a credit you must have worked and paid at least one PRSI contribution at PRSI Class A, B, C, D, E, or H and have paid or credited contributions in either of the last two completed tax years. For example, if you are applying for credits in 2009 you must have paid or credited contributions in either 2008 or 2007. If there is a gap of more than two completed tax years you must work and pay contributions for a further 26 weeks before you qualify for credited contributions.

No comments:

Post a Comment