Friday, December 24, 2010

What Public holidays are due?

Christmas Day (25 December), St Stephen’s Day (26 December) and New Year’s Day (1 January) are public holidays. In 2010 Christmas Day falls on a Saturday and St Stephen’s Day falls on a Sunday. In 2011 New Year’s Day (1 January) falls on a Saturday.

There is no specific provision in law governing what happens when a public holiday falls on a weekend. This means that you do not have an automatic legal entitlement to take the next working day off work. You are entitled to the normal alternative arrangements for public holidays. These are:

A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
An additional day of annual leave
An additional day’s pay
The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off.

Under the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 you may ask your employer, at least 21 days before a public holiday, which of the alternatives will apply to you. Your employer should respond to you at least 14 days before the public holiday. In practice most employers will give employees Monday 27 and Tuesday 28 December and Monday 3 January off in lieu of the public holidays – but it is important to remember that this is not an automatic entitlement.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Budget 2011 4 Year Plan

Taxation Measures to be Introduced:
  • Tax credits and bands to be reduced by 16.5%, which will reduce the entry point of income tax to approx E15,300 from E18,300 in 2010 tax year
  • Minimum wage to be reduced from E8.65 to E7.65
  • Implement pension-related tax changes to yield E700 million, with E240 million in tax savings on the public sector pension related deduction.
  • Abolish/curtail a range of tax expenditures yielding E755 million.
  • Increase the standard rate of VAT from 21% to 22% in 2013, with a further increase to 23% in 2014. These changes will yield E620 million.
  • Introduce a local services contribution to fund essential locally-delivered services. This will yield E530 million.
  • Increase the price of carbon gradually from E15 to E30, yielding E330 million.
  • Reform capital acquisitions and capital gains tax to yield an additional E145 million.
The plan will reduce the income tax structure back to 2006 levels.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Reduced frequency of tax returns and payments

Reductions in the frequency of PAYE/PRSI and VAT tax returns and payments for smaller businesses will again be extended to eligible businesses from 1 January 2011. Visit for full details.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Out Sick? Should your employer pay.

In general an employee has no right under employment law in Ireland to be paid while on sick leave. Consequently, it is at the discretion of the employer to decide his/her own policy on sick pay and sick leave, subject to the employee’s contract or terms of employment.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Self Employed not Earning??

What social welfare payments are available if your business has slowed down?

If you are self-employed but do not have enough business to provide sufficient income, you can access social welfare jobseeker's payments. It is not necessary to close down your business to access these payments.

If you find yourself unemployed or you are getting less work you may qualify for a social welfare payment. You do not need to de-register as self-employed to get a social welfare payment.

Contact your local welfare office for further details.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Calculating Redundancy?

A redundancy lump sum is calculated according a certain formula based on years of service in an employment. The has provided a simple worksheet to help you work it out for yourself. Visit the page Here!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

New Social Payment

A GROUP assessing the impact of the proposed universal social contribution (USC), to replace employee PRSI, and the health and income levies will report to Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan within weeks.

A new universal social contribution will replace employee PRSI, the health levy and the income levy. It will be paid by everyone at a low rate on a wide base as a collective contribution to public services.

Finance Minister, Mr Lenihan announced his intention to introduce the charge on income in his budget speech last December.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Extra training Places

E12 million has been allocated to fund 5,000 extra training and education places for unemployed people under the Labour Market Activation Fund. has details of education and training courses, including the places for unemployed people supported by the Labour Market Activation Fund.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010


UNABLE to attend our courses, Why not preview our new Payroll E-Learning Video and see for yourself how easy our interactive PC based 2010 guide is to use. Click Here to View.

Creative Accountants Funny Video

LAST Payroll Training Level 1

We are running one additional Payroll Training level 1 course before the summer in Bewleys Hotel, Dublin Airport on 17th June 2010.

If you wish to reserve a place, please visit our website where you may book on-line or download a course booking form. Click Here for Details.

This microsite provides public service information for those who are currently unemployed or are becoming unemployed in Ireland. Covering, Reduced Hours or Pay, Help with your Rent or Mortgage, Leaving Work, Options for Education and Training, Getting Social Welfare, Going Back to Work, Money and Tax Issues, Leaving Ireland. Visit the site @

Entitlements for children with disabilities

The Citizens Information Board has a particular remit to help people with disabilities identify and understand their needs and options. It has just published a new booklet: Entitlements for children with disabilities.

The booklet aims to give the parents and carers of children with disabilities - from newly diagnosed babies to adult children - a road map to the services and supports available and how they work.

Topics covered include health services, payments, tax credits and reliefs, education, working and caring, travel, assistive technologies, housing grants, children's rights, and how to enforce them.

Download the Booklet Here

Tax Payment Difficulties

Revenue acknowledges that in the current economic slowdown some businesses and taxpayers are currently experiencing difficulties in meeting their tax payment obligations, even where they are fully committed to so doing and in more favourable economic and financial circumstances did precisely that.

Revenue's approach to individuals and businesses experiencing tax payment difficulties is set out in 3 seperate documents. Click Here to view documents

Tax Exemption for New Start-Up Companies

Relief from corporation tax is available for the first 3 years of operation for new companies:

-that are incorporated on or after 14 October 2008,
-which commence a qualifying trade in 2009, and
-whose corporation tax liabilities do not exceed specified levels.

Full relief is available to a new company in any of its first 3 years of operation where its total corporation tax liability for a 12-month accounting period does not exceed E40,000.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Tax Reliefs for High Earners

Certain tax breaks available to high income earners are restricted with a tapering restriction applying to individuals with income in excess of €250,000. The amount of relief’s that an individual may claim in any year is limited to a greater of 50% of certain relief’s including all property incentive schemes or €250,000 whichever is greater. Any relief denied in a particular tax year may be carried forward. The impact of this is to ensure a minimum payment of tax at c.20%.

In the case of married couples each spouse is treated separately when calculating this relief and therefore the threshold of €250,000 applies to each spouse.

Irish Payroll Affiliate Program Launced

Earn additional income promoting our guide to Irish Payroll Practice 2010. We pay 60% commission for each sale. Click Here to sign up today!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Payroll Guide 2010

Our NEW Payroll 2010 "Guide to Irish Payroll Practice is now available. Only 200 copies are available at our sprecial introductory price of €47 (Normal price €97)

Get your COPY TODAY!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tax and PAYE Anytime

Have you registered for PAYE Anytime yet?

All PAYE workers should now avail of Revenue's on-line service.

Once registered, you can:

-View your tax record
-Claim a wide range of tax credits: service charges, union subscriptions and Rent Credit etc.
-Apply for refunds of tax including health expenses
-Declare additional income
-Request a review of tax liability for previous years
-Re-allocate credits between yourself and your spouse
-Track your correspondence submitted to Revenue

Register today @

Monday, April 19, 2010

Rent-a-Room Scheme

Where a room in a persons’ principle private residence is let as residential accommodation and the gross annual rental income is less than €10,000 per annum this rental income is exempt from tax. Where it exceeds €10,000 the rent is taxable in full.

Qualifying room rentals will not affect entitlements to claim mortgage interest relief. It will also not effect CGT relief on Principle Private Residence on the disposal of the dwelling, and will not lead to a stamp duty claw-back. The relief will not apply where the letting is between connected parties and rent relief is being claimed.

Home Carer’s Credit

A Hone Carer's tax credit of €990 is available for married couples jointly assessed, where only one spouse is working and the other cares for children, individuals over the age of 65, or incapacitated individuals in their home. No credit is available where the income of the carer exceeds €6,620. A reduced credit applies if the carer’s income is between €5,080 and €6,620 for the tax year.

Childminding Relief

Childminding relief is, available where an individual minds up to three children (excluding their own children) in their own home. No tax will be payable on the childminding earnings received, provided the amount is not more than €15,000 per annum. If the childminding income exceeds this, the total amount will be taxable as normal under self-assessment.

Tax Exemptions & Reliefs

Relief for the Long Term Unemployed

Tax incentives were introduced to benefit employees and employers. The employee is entitled to two separate allowances, as follows:

Personal Tax
Allowance           Child Tax Allowance
€                         €
Year 1 3,810        1,270 for each qualifying child
Year 2 2,540        850 for each qualifying child
Year 3 1,270        425 for each qualifying child

The definition of a qualifying individual is an individual who have been continuously unemployed for a minimum period of twelve months. The employer is entitled to a double deduction for qualifying employees in respect of:

Emoluments paid to those employees in the first 36 months of employment and
PRSI contributions on those emoluments

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Small Business Payroll Software

Introducing Quantum Payroll 35, Small Business Payroll Software. Providing outstanding value, supported by a team of experts with over 25 years experience. Quantum provides value, reliability, convenience, savings, ease of use and flexibility.

Visit our Website @


Sage Quickpay & Micropay Payslips Now available on-line. We also supply window payslip envelopes.
Visit our Website @

Property Taxes

If you own a second property specifically for the rental market, there are many deductions you are allowed which can help reduce the tax you pay. They include:
-General expenses (excluding capital items)
-Advertising for Tenants
-Collection expenses
-Accountants fees
-Interest paid on loans to purchase, improve, or repair a residential premises
-Cost of any service or goods provided by the landlord, for which they do not receive a separate payment
-Legal expenses in drawing up leases
-Registration with Private Residential Tenancies Board.
-Wear & Tear allowances on capital items.

Tax Forms

The Irish Revenue's most common PAYE Tax Forms and information leaflets can be printed or ordered by clicking the link below. Revenue will accept these printed tax forms for processing. Alternatively, to order, select the forms or leaflets that you require and they will be posted within five working days.

Click the link below for a full list of Tax Forms.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Payroll Training in Dublin

Our next Level 1 Training course takes place in Dublin's Gresham Hotel on 16th April. Book your place today!! Click Here

Unable to Attend our Courses?

We have resisted for many years to sell our Course Notes, as opposed to our group training courses, but having received countless requests over the past year from all over Ireland and the Uk, we decided we can no longer ignore what people really want.........

As you can probably realise, Selling our Course Notes is a "RISK" to us and our group training course schedule, because of this we do have to limit the number of copies we are willingto release each Tax Year. We do want to help all those not in a position to attend one of our courses, but we do need to protect our core business from saturation, so for this reason we are releasing "ONLY 200 copies"

Get yours Today CLICK HERE

Older people's tax credits and reliefs

If you are aged 65 or over and live in Ireland, you are liable to pay income tax in the normal way. However, the tax exemption limits are much higher for people aged 65 or over and there are some extra tax credits. It is possible to get tax relief for covenants to people aged 65 and over.

In certain circumstances, you may be able to reclaim any Deposit Interest Retention Tax paid. Annual exemption limits for 2009 and 2010

Status Aged 65 and over
- Single/Widowed person €20,000
- Married Couple €40,000

What are my entitlements under the Maternity Protection Act?

The Maternity Protection Acts 1994 and 2004 entitle a pregnant employee to 26 consecutive weeks maternity leave. If a woman takes maternity leave, she must take a minimum of 2 weeks leave before the last day of her expected week of confinement. She must also take a minimum of four weeks leave after the last day of her expected week of confinement. In addition to maternity leave and additional maternity leave, the Acts also cover a range of issues including: time off for ante-natal and postnatal medical visits; the right to return to work All employees who have taken maternity leave are entitled to take an additional 16 weeks of unpaid maternity leave. This is also known as 'unpaid leave'. This leave must commence immediately after maternity leave has ended. In order to avail of additional maternity leave, a woman must notify her employer in writing a minimum of four weeks before the additional maternity leave is due to commence. Available from the Equality Authority is a brochure outlining entitlements under the Acts - About the Maternity Protection Acts, 1994 and 2004. The full text of this brochure can be downloaded from the Equality Authority's website : click here. Alternatively you can contact the Equality Authority or email, write to the Equality Authority, Clonmel Street, Dublin 2 or by telephone on 01- 417 3333

When do I apply for a Tax refund?

Generally you should wait a minimum of 4 weeks from the date you became unemployed before you apply for a tax refund.

If however you are in receipt of any taxable sources of income (which would include taxable income from the Department of Social and Family Affairs) you should wait a minimum of 8 weeks, as, any tax credit will be utilised in part or in full against the other income.

If emergency tax was deducted by your former employer, you may apply immediately for a refund on becoming unemployed.

Are all employees entitled to paid leave on public holidays?

Most employees are entitled to paid leave on public holidays - one exception to this is part-time employees who have not worked for their employer at least 40 hours in total in the 5 weeks before the public holiday.

Find out more about public holidays and employment rights, including what happens if you are on sick leave during a public holiday and what happens if a public holiday falls on a weekend. Click Here for more details.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"Payroll 2010" Now Live!

For the first time ever, you can now PURCHASE your very own copy of
"A Complete Introduction to Irish Payroll Practice" completely updated for Tax Year 2010.
*Please note: this is a digital download product only!

Visit for details, ONLY 200 Copies available!!!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Unpaid Leave: Tax Implications

If you worked fewer days or you stopped working during the year you may have paid too much tax. If you think that you have overpaid tax in the year you can request a PAYE Balancing Statement (P21) for the year from Revenue. Your P21 gives details of your total income, tax credits and PAYE tax paid for the tax year. It also shows whether you have overpaid or underpaid tax for the year. If you have overpaid tax, a cheque for the amount overpaid will be attached. If you have underpaid tax your district office will indicate if, and how the underpayment will be collected - usually by reduction of your tax credits for a subsequent tax year. is provided by the Citizens Information Board and the Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS). aims to provide comprehensive information on the services and entitlements available if you are having difficulties paying your rent or making your mortgage repayments.

Visit for details

Work Placement Programme, What is it?

The FÁS Work Placement Programme provides nine months’ work experience for unemployed people and graduates. There are two streams: Stream 1 provides 1,000 places for graduates and Stream 2 provides 1,000 places for unemployed people (with 250 of these places reserved for people under 34). Placements are allocated to each FÁS region according to the number of people on the Live Register in that region. Placements are allocated on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.

You can register with FÁS at any local FÁS Employment Service Office or Local Employment Service Office (LES).

Eighteen firms shut for each day of Cowen reign!!

The devastating impact of the recession on the private sector is revealed today as 127 companies a week or 12,049 in total have been forced to close, since Brian Cowen has become Taoiseach. Shocking new figures from the Revenue Commissioners reveal that since 2008, 12,049 firms and 40,758 individuals have officially ceased trading.

That works out as 127 company closures a week for each of the 95 weeks Mr Cowen has been Taoiseach or 18 a day, far higher than all previous estimates. In addition to those closing, 429 individuals a week have ceased trading since 2008 or 61 a day in the last two years.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Tax Refunds if Unemployed?

Jobseekers Benefit is a taxable source of income. However, any child dependent element and the first €13 per week of benefit are exempt from tax. When you make a claim for a tax refund the taxable portion of the Jobseekers Benefit will be added to your pay and the appropriate refund, if any, will be made. You should note that if the weekly amount of your Jobseekers Benefit exceeds your weekly tax credit you will not be entitled to a refund.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tax Refunds!

Tax Refunds if you are Unemployed or out of work sick?

The amount of tax refund will depend on:
  • The length of time you have been unemployed
  • The amount of tax you have paid
  • The amount of tax credits you have used
  • The amount of your weekly social welfare payment
  • How your tax refund is paid
Revenue will issue a cheque if you are unemployed and due a tax refund.

If you are out of work sick, when you return to work your employer usually refunds your tax in your first weeks wages. If you think you may be due a tax refund contact your local district tax office.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Revenue Audits!!!

The function of the Auditor is to:

Audit the returns for the years/periods or transactions indicated in the audit notice (normally a current year/period is indicated) Make any necessary adjustments Settle and collect the additional liability, if any, and Specify the remedial actions required to put the tax affairs of the person audited on a sound footing going forward.

The Auditor focuses primarily on year(s)/period(s) or transactions indicated in the audit notice.

Enterprise Boards - Training

Each County Enterprise Board runs a schedule of programmes to assist entrepreneurs to be successful in business. Individual County Enterprise Boards recognise that access to professional business training and advice can be difficult and expensive for small businesses. They therefore provide specially designed courses and workshops in Business and Management skills at a subsidised rate.

Although the following list does not relate specifically to any County Enterprise Board, it does provide a flavour of the topics covered. For a list of the training courses available in your area please contact your local county enterprise board.
  • Start Your Own Business
  • Developing a Business Plan
  • Book-keeping
  • Taxation for the Self-Employed
  • Management Development
  • Practical Employment Law
  • Equality Issues
  • Computer training
  • Health & Safety
  • Safe Lifting / Manual Handling

The range of skills and knowledge needed by aspiring entrepreneurs can be extremely daunting as they try to get started in business. For further details contact your local enterprise board or visit

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Holiday Entitlements, Did you Know?

Ever wonder how your Holiday entitlements are calculated? 
  • Four working weeks, where the employee has worked a minimum of 1,365 hours
  • One-third of a working week, where the employee has worked a minimum of 117 hours in the month  
  • Eight percent of hours worked, where an employee has worked less than 117 hours in a month, subject to a maximum of four working weeks holidays in a year.  
  • Where an employee is entitled to calculate holidays on more than one of the bases above, the one that gives the greatest entitlement shall apply, subject to an overall maximum of four working weeks holidays in a year. 
  • A day of sickness during holidays, which is covered by a medical certificate, is not counted as annual leave.
  • It is illegal to pay an allowance in lieu of the minimum statutory holiday entitlement of an employee unless the employment relationship is terminated.
  • Strictly, the holiday year runs from 1 April to 31 March, but any consistent 12-month period may be used by agreement.
Public holidays
  • Full-time employees benefit immediately from a public holiday. Part-time employees must have worked 40 hours over a five-week period ending immediately before the public holiday to qualify.
  • There are nine public holidays in the year: 1 January; 17 March, St Patrick's Day; Easter Monday, the first Mondays in May, June, August; the alst Monday in October; 25 December, Christmas Day; 26 December, St Stephen's Day.
When a public holiday falls on a day on which an employee normally works, he/she is entitled to one of the following:  
  • A paid day off on that day (default)
  • A paid day off within a month of the day  
  • An additional day of annual leave  
  • An additional day's pay.

Voluntary Work, Did you Know?

Did you know that you can do voluntary work while receiving a jobseeker's payment?
Many people who receive either Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance are involved with community or voluntary groups.

Examples of voluntary work you can do while receiving a jobseeker's payment from Social Welfare include helping the sick, helping older people or people with a disability or assisting youth clubs, church groups, sports groups, cultural organisations or local resident associations.

To get involved in volunteering, you should request an application form VW1 from your Social Welfare Local Office.

Redundancy, Did you know?

To be eligible for a redundancy payment under the Acts, you must satisfy the following requirements:

-You must be aged 16 or over. (Since 8 May 2007 there is no upper age limit of 66.)

-You must be in employment that is insurable under the Social Welfare Acts. Full-time employees must be paying Class A PRSI. (This insurability requirement does not apply to part-time workers)

-You must have worked continuously for your employer for at least 104 weeks over the age of 16.

Reducing Working Hours?

If your employer asks you to work fewer hours or take a pay cut, this is a change to your contract of employment. Any change to your contract of employment must be agreed by both you and your employer. When deciding whether or not to agree to working reduced hours or to a reduction in pay, there are a number of issues to be considered:

-Reduced pay – what are the implications of this – for example, your take home pay, pension contributions, Health Benefits, Benefits in Kind, Child Care etc
-Scheduling of working hours – it may suit you to reduce your hours, for example working a day less per week or 2 hours less each day.

You should ask your employer to give you written details of this proposed change to your contract of employment including a review date. You should respond to this in writing and if you are proposing to accept the change, you should stress that your acceptance is temporary. At the review date the change to your contract can be reconsidered and you could ask to return to the original terms and conditions of your contract.

One thing to remember is your entitlement to social welfare for days not worked. For example, If you are put on a three day week, providing you must have enough PRSI contributions, you would be entitled to claim Jobseekers allowance.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Enforcing your employment rights!

People working in Ireland have certain rights under employment law such as a minimum wage and annual leave. If you are not getting your rights or entitlements or if you lose your job and consider your dismissal was unfair, there are various organisations which can assist you to enforce your rights. Organisations involved in employment rights enforcement include the National Employment Rights Authority (NERA), the Employment Appeals Tribunal, the Labour Relations Commission, the Rights Commissioner Service and the Equality Tribunal and the Labour Court.

Where you make a complaint to enforce one of your employment rights depends on the employment law it comes under. For example, your annual leave entitlement is set out under the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997.

Some employment legislation prohibits employers from victimising or penalising employees who try to enforce or are enforcing their rights given by the legislation. Victimisation could mean less favourable treatment or dismissal.

If you have a complaint about entitlements such as annual leave, public holidays, hours of work, maternity leave, carer’s leave, adoptive leave, parental leave, you should apply to the Rights Commissioner Service.

If you are claiming unfair dismissal you should apply to the Rights Commissioner Service if you and your employer agree. If either of you objects to a Rights Commissioner hearing you should apply to the Employment Appeals Tribunal.

If there is a dispute about redundancy or if you do not get your minimum notice entitlement you may bring a claim to the Employment Appeals Tribunal

If you have a complaint about discrimination in employment you should apply to the Equality Tribunal on form EE.1

If you need information about employment law and your employment rights you should contact the NERA Information Service.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Back to Work Enterprise Allowance?

The Back to Work Enterprise Allowance (BTWEA) scheme encourages people getting certain social welfare payments to become self-employed. People taking part in the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance scheme can keep a percentage of their social welfare payment for up to 2 years.

From 1 May 2009, the qualifying period required for BTWEA is reduced from 2 years to 12 months provided you have an underlying entitlement to Jobseekers Allowance. A new Back to Work Allowance Scheme called the Short-term Enterprise Allowance started in May 2009.

You can avail of the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance if you are:
Setting up as self-employed in a business that has been approved in advance in writing by a Job Facilitator or Partnership Company

Getting a Jobseeker's Allowance for 12 months

Unemployed for 2 years and getting Jobseeker's Benefit. However, if you have an underlying entitlement to Jobseeker's Allowance and are unemployed for one year you can qualify for the allowance. If you don't have an underlying entitlement to Jobseeker's Allowance, you must have a combination of qualifying social welfare payments for 2 years. Signing on for unemployment credits following your Jobseeker's Benefit will not count towards the qualifying period. Contact your local Social welfare office for details.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

New Mandatory Pension

News Scource-RTE.IE: The Government is to introduce a new mandatory or 'auto-enrolment' pension scheme in four years' time as part of a major restructuring of pension provision in the State. Under the New National Pensions Framework, the state pension will remain the basis of the pension system in Ireland - with the Government undertaking to preserve its value at 35% of average earnings.

However, in future, workers aged over 22 earning above a certain income threshold will automatically be enrolled in a new supplementary pension scheme to provide additional retirement income. This will happen unless they are already in their employers' scheme which provides higher contribution levels or is a defined benefit scheme. Employees would contribute 4%, with the Government and the employer providing matching contributions of 2% each - making a total contribution of 8%. Workers may opt out of the supplementary scheme - but it remains mandatory for employers. You can Download the full Framework Document Here

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Payroll Training Level 2

Our Next Level 2 Training Date is penciled in for Dublin, Gresham Hotel on March 31st, for all those on our waiting list for this course, please go to our website to register. There are only 8 places available so please book ASAP. Click Here for further details.

Live for Less Card

Are you in receipt of Social Welfare, Why not take advantage of the Live for less card and save, save, save! The Live4Less discount card is the first and only one of its kind in Ireland. It currently offers exclusive discounts and special offers to card holders in over 60 locations and is adding new offers every day.

The Live4Less card has been developed solely for people on the Live Register and those receiving a Social Welfare payments. The card costs only €10.

Visit their website @

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Social Welfare Appeals

Have you lost your Social Welfare entitlements? Were you refused payments based on a means test?

You should visit the Social Welfare Appeals website @ Here you will find details of how the appeals process works. The site also lists case studies in the following areas Unemployment, Sickness, Pensions, Family, Social Insurance, Supplementary Welfare Allowance etc. You should read all case studies that may apply to your own situation, these case studies do give you a better understanding of how and why Social Welfare payments may be refused. All appeals must be made with 21 days.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Minimum Wage Exemption

If an employer cannot afford to pay the national minimum wage due to financial difficulty the Labour Court may exempt an employer from paying the minimum wage rate for between 3 months and 1 year. Only 1 such exemption can be allowed. The employer must apply to the Labour Court for the exemption with the consent of a majority of the employees, who must also agree to be bound by the Labour Court decision.

The employer must demonstrate that he/she is unable to pay the national minimum wage and that, if compelled to do so, would have to lay-off employees or terminate their employment.

For full details on the Minimum wage, you can download the Minimum Wage Act by clicking Here

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Friday, February 26, 2010

Changing Jobs?

If you are changing your job, (that is, leaving your existing job and commencing a new one), there are a number of steps you should take in relation to tax and social insurance contributions (PRSI). In addition, there are important issues to be aware of, regarding your pension.

Whenever you leave a job you should get a form P45 from your employer. From 2009 you will also be given an Income Levy Certificate for your own records. Your new employer then takes some details from your P45 and then sends your P45 form to the tax office on your behalf. If you do not submit a P45 your new employer will deduct emergency tax.

If you have an occupational pension your benefits from the pension scheme may be preserved within the scheme or transferred to another scheme. Legislation requires that when a member leaves a scheme that they must be provided with a Leaving Service Options letter within 2 months of their exit from the scheme. Before you leave your employment, you should talk to the person in the company who has responsibilty for administering the pension scheme, as each scheme has its own rules.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Thursday, February 25, 2010

I was Self-Employed, can i claim Job Seekers Allowance?

If you were Self-employed (i.e. your business has to close down) or you continue to be self-employed but your work has reduced so much that it no longer provides you with a sufficient income, you may qualify for a social welfare payment. You do not need to de-register as self-employed to get a social welfare payment.
Self-employed people pay Class S PRSI. Class S PRSI only covers you for certain social welfare payments. It does not cover you for Jobseeker’s Benefit, however, if you worked as an employee in the last 4 years, you may have paid Class A PRSI and should apply to your Social Welfare Local Office for Jobseeker’s Benefit.

You may however be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance, depending on your earnings from your business. You do not need to close your business or stop working as self-employed for you to get Jobseeker’s Allowance. The allowance is means tested however, and will depend on existing household income, audited accounts from your business will need to be produced. Contact your local Social Welfare office for details.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tax Return Forms, Where can i Find them?

Most of your Tax claim forms can be found on Revenue's website, click here for a full list of available forms to download.

What Medical Expenses Can i Claim?

You may claim tax relief in respect of the cost of certain medical expenses paid by you. You cannot claim tax relief for any expenditure which has been, or will be, reimbursed by another body such as the VHI, Quinn Healthcare etc. Also be aware that claims can be made for the previous 4 tax years. Many people are not aware of certain appliances which can aslo be claimed for, for example; Wheelchair and/or Wheelchair Lift, Exercise bicycle and Computers. You may only claim relief based on the advice of a medical practitioner or where medical evidence indicates that an item is necessary.

Claims can be made via Revenue's PAYE anytime website, by completing form Med 1 or Form 11. There are many more medical expenses you can claim, further articles will be posted shortly.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tax Refunds after Marraige

If the tax you pay as two single people is greater than the tax payable if you were taxed as a married couple, you can claim the difference. If you were married in 2009, any tax refund due to you will be calculated after 31 December 2009. If you get married in 2010, any tax refund due to you will be calculated after 31 December 2010. The standard rate cut-off point for married couples is €45,400 in 2010 (the same rate applied in 2009). This amount is taxed at 20% and the balance is taxed at 41%. Where both spouses have income, this standard rate cut-off point can be increased by the lower of the following:

-€27,400 in 2010 (the same rate applied in 2009) or
-The amount of the income of the spouse with the smaller income.

Example of Taxation of a Married Couple:

Thomas Income €48,000 + Donna's Income €24,000 = €72,000
Standard rate band
Thomas €45,400 x 20%   = €9,080
2,600 x 41%                   = €1,066
Donna €24,000 x 20%      = €4,800
                                     = €14,946

Tax Credits Married Tax Credit  €3,660
PAYE Tax Credit x 2                  €3,660
                                             = €7,320

Tax Payable €14,946 - €7,320 = €7,626

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Monday, February 22, 2010

What is Benefit-in-Kind on a Car?

The Benefit-in-kind on a car, made available by an employer for an employee's private use, is 30% of the original market value of the car, where the employer also pays for all the normal running costs. The original market value is the cost of the car when purchased new and includes Vehicle Registration Tax. However, if the employee pays any of the following costs, the 30% Benefit-in-kind is reduced by:

4.5% (to 25.5%) where employee pays for all private motoring fuel
3% (to 27%) where employee pays for all insurance
3% (to 27%) where employee pays for all servicing and repairs
1% (to 29%) where employee pays for all road tax.

In effect, if an employee pays all of the above running costs of the car, the Benefit-in-kind is 18.5% of the original market value of the car.

This does not take into account further reductions for buisness mileage, also a new system for calculating the taxable benefit arising from the provision of a company car based on CO2 emissions came into effect from 1 January 2009. It only applies to new cars which are provided after that date. Both will be discussed in a furture article.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Employers' PRSI Exemption Scheme

What does the Employers' PRSI Exemption Scheme mean?
The Employers' PRSI Exemption Scheme means that when you employ eligible workers you will not have to pay your share of their PRSI contributions for the first two years of their employment.
There is no limit to the number of people you can employ under the Scheme. To qualify, the employer must take on an employee who is getting the Back to Work Allowance for the first time on the day he or she starts work with the company.

Click Here for more on the exemption scheme

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Online Redundancy Claims

Did you know the Online Redundancy Claim form allows:

-Employers to submit rebate claims for employees that have been paid redundancy.
-Liquidators/receivers/examiners to submit rebate claims for redundancies paid to employees, and lump sum claims on behalf of employees that have not been paid (full) redundancy.
-Employees to submit claims for lump sum that have not been paid by the employer.

All correctly completed Online Redundancy claims will also be given priority.
Click Here for further details.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

Friday, February 19, 2010

What is PRSI & what is it used for?

The PRSI contribution is made up of Social Insurance and the Health Contribution (health levy), many workers were not aware of the health levy until the income levy was introduced in 2009. The Social Insurance element goes to the Social Insurance Fund ( SIF) which helps pay for Social Welfare benefits and pensions. This element is paid by employers and employees.

The Health Contribution goes to the Department of Health and Children to help fund the health services. The Health Contribution is included in the employee's share of the PRSI contribution. all employees, with very few exceptions whether full-time or part-time, pay PRSI.

Am i entitled to PRSI credits while unemployed?

'Credits' are automatically given for any period you get Jobseeker's Benefit. 'Credits' may also be given for periods of Jobseeker's Allowance or if you participate in an education or part-time work scheme for unemployed people.

If you are sick or unemployed, you may qualify for 'credits' even if you are not getting Illness Benefit or an unemployment payment. This can happen, for example, if you:

-do not have enough PRSI contributions to qualify for benefit;
-have used up your benefit, or
-are disqualified from getting unemployment payments because of a trade dispute.

If you are unemployed, you may be entitled to sign for 'credits' at your local Social Welfare Office.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Director Responsibilities

When a company has limited liability status, its directors are not personally liable for its debts and obligations if it is wound up or goes into receivership.

A Dáil committee has called for a change in company law to ensure that directors who try to avoid paying certain types of taxes can be made personally liable. The report from the Public Accounts Committee focused on fiduciary taxes - those collected by companies and employers from staff and suppliers which should be passed on the State. These include PAYE and PRSI payments from workers and VAT. Revenue has had to write off €1 billion in such taxes in the past ten years.

Would this change in company law discourage new startups when we need them most? With one in five startups failing within a 5 year period, would this change in company law encourage more to work harder to make their business work? Its two fold! On one hand we need the startups, we need that "irish entrepreneurial spirit". On the other, we have too many companies who recklessly and/or purposely run up huge debts, while taking full advantage of their limited liability status.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What notice am i required to give?

Employees who have been in continuous employment for at least 13 weeks are obliged to provide their employer with one week’s notice of termination of employment. If a greater amount of notice is specified in the employee’s contract of employment, then this notice must be given.

Employers must give employees notice dependent on length of the employee’s service.

Length of Service                            Minimum notice
Thirteen weeks to two years              One Week
Two to five years                              Two Weeks
Five to ten years                               Four Weeks
Ten to fifteen years                          Six Weeks
More than fifteen years                     Eight Weeks

Redundancy Tax-free Entitlements

Did you know on a redundancy or retirement payment, you are entitled to the higher of the following which is then exempt from tax:

Basic Exemption
The basic exemption due is €10,160, plus €765 for each complete year of service. (This does not include statutory redundancy which is tax free.)

Basic Exemption plus Increased Exemption
An additional €10,000 called the Increased Exemption is also available in the following certain circumstances:

If you haven't received a tax-free lump sum in the last 10 years
If you have never received a tax-free lump sum and you are not getting a lump sum pension payment
If you are in an occupational pension scheme, the Increased Exemption is reduced by any tax-free lump sum from the pension scheme you may be entitled to receive.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below.

Tax Tip, Did you Know?

Did you know you can get a refund of tax you have already paid if you were employed and find yourself unemployed. You may also get a tax refund if you are out of work due to illness. You can also get tax back if you are still employed but have paid more tax than you were liable for.

Another way to get tax back is through tax relief on services or products that you have bought. Some of the cost of certain services and products can be recouped from the tax you have already paid to the Revenue Commissioners, for example, tax relief for employing a carer and tax relief for third level education fees. The amount of relief you get depends on the amount of tax you have paid.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below.

Tax Saver Commuter Ticket?

Did you know you can save up to 51% on your bus or rail fare with tax and PRSI* savings. You must order your ticket through your company and your company must be registered with Dublin Bus or Irish Rail to offer the Taxsaver Scheme to its employees.

For Example: Gross Salary - €34,000, Annual Bus & Rail ticket cost- €1190. If you opt for an Annual Bus & Rail ticket, your taxable income is €32,810. You do not pay tax, PRSI and gov levy on €1190. *PRSI rates may vary depending on your contribution class. Visit for more details.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below.

Payroll Training Schedule

Check out our latest course schedule, we have both level 1 & Level 2 dates confirmed, visit for further details.

Essential training course's for anyone, who is responsible for the payroll function, covering all essential rules in the operation of PAYE and PRSI to include the rights and obligations of both employers and employees.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below.

NEW e-Learning Payroll Training

COMING SOON! New E-Learning Interactive Payroll Training Manual Based on our classroom training content, our E-learning training manual is an interactive e-book allowing all users a simple and intuitive new way of learning. Here are just a few of the features available in our new E-Learning manual;

1) Questions and Anwsers, with results score page
2) Add and save your own notes
3) Highlight and/or bookmark text
4) Updates automatically via the web

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below.

Quantum Payroll 2010 Edition

Quantum Payroll is one of Ireland's most popular, reliable, and accurate payroll systems, supported by an expert team of payroll professionals. Quantum, not only gives you a system totally in tune with today’s payroll needs, but it also allows you respond to staff queries at the touch of a button. Commonly requested items such as historical payslips and copy P60’s etc. are instantly available from the system.

Please contact us on 01-2883846 or visit our website @

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Work-life balance day on March 1 2010

A number of organisations are choosing to mark work-life balance day on March 1 2010

In a recession the availability of work-life balance options like flexible working, part-time working, job sharing and career breaks can meet both the needs of the business, to cut-costs, and those of employees, to increased flexibility and security Moreover, access to work-life balance initiatives can serve to motivate staff and positively effect productivity.

You may like to use the attached poster to promote work-life balance in your organisation. Hard copies are available from the Equality Authority ( As well as the information on this website, the website of the National Framework Committee for Work-life Balance, provides further information and is a portal to other sites.

How is my Tax Calculated?

Patrick is single and earns €28,000 a year. He receives his notice of determination of tax credits and standard rate cut-off point from Revenue.

Patricks’s tax credits are listed on the notice as:
Single Person Tax Credit = €1,830
Employee Tax Credit = €1,830
Tax credit total = €3,660

The standard rate cut-off point for a single person is €36,400. As a result of Patrick’s income being below the cut-off point, all of his income is taxed at the standard rate, (20%), to give his gross tax.

€28,000 x 20% = €5,600 gross tax.
The total tax credits are deducted from gross tax to give the tax that is payable:

€5,600 - €3,660 = €1,940

Patrick is also liable to pay the income levy at 2% of his gross income:
€28,000 x 2% = €560

The total amount deducted from his income is:
€1,940 (income tax) + €560 (income levy) = €2,500

This is a basic calculation and does not include deductions for PRSI.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Minimum Wage

The National Minimum Wage Act 2000 provides that the minimum wage rate for an experienced adult employee from 1 July 2007 is €8.65 an hour, (was €8.30). An experienced adult for the purposes of the National Minimum Wage Act is an employee who has an employment of any kind in any 2 years over the age of 18.

There are some exceptions to those entitled to receive the national minimum wage. The legislation does not apply to a person employed by a close relative (for example, a spouse or parent) nor does it apply to those in statutory apprenticeships. Also some employees such as young people under 18 and trainees are only guaranteed a reduced or sub-minimum rate of the national minimum wage.

The National Minimum Wage Act provides the following sub-minimum rates:

-An employee who is under 18 is entitled to €6.06 per hour (this is 70% of the minimum wage)
-An employee who is in the first year of employment since the age of 18 is entitled to €6.92 per hour (80% of minimum wage)
-An employee who is in the second year of employment since the date of first employment over the age of 18 is entitled to €7.79 per hour (90% of the minimum wage)

Paternity Leave

Paternity leave is not recognised in employment law in Ireland. In other words, employers are not obliged to grant male employees special paternity leave (either paid or unpaid) following the birth of their child. Annual leave taken following the birth of a child is treated in employment law in the same way as leave taken at any other time of the year. It is at the discretion of the employer to decide who can and cannot take annual leave at a given time.

While male employees are not entitled under Irish law to either paid or unpaid paternity leave, they may be entitled to parental leave. Parental leave entitles both parents who qualify to take a period of up to 14 weeks' unpaid leave from employment in respect of children up to eight years of age.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

How is my Maternity Benefit Calculated?

If you are employed, your weekly rate of Maternity Benefit is calculated by dividing your gross income in the relevant tax year by the number of weeks you actually worked in that year. Eighty percent (80%) of this amount is payable weekly, subject to a minimum payment and a maximum payment. (The Relevant Tax Year is the second last complete income tax year before the year in which your maternity leave starts.

Rates of payment from January 2010:

Maternity Benefit     Weekly rate

Maximum payment       €270
Minimum payment        €225.80

Friday, February 12, 2010

Annual Leave Entitlements

Your entitlement to annual leave or holidays from work in is set out in legislation and in your contract of employment, legislation gives various entitlements to leave from work. These include annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave, adoptive leave, carer's leave, parental leave and other types of leave from work.

The Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 provides for a basic annual paid leave entitlement of 4 weeks, although an employee's contract could give greater rights.

There are 3 different ways of calculating your annual leave entitlement:

-Based on the employee's working hours during what is called the leave year, which runs from April to March. An employee who has worked at least 1,365 hours in the leave year (that is, an average working week of 26.25 hours) is entitled to the maximum of 4 weeks' annual leave. Many employers use the calendar year (January-December) instead of the official leave year to calculate entitlement.
-By allowing 1/3 of a working week for each calendar month in which the employee has worked at least 117 hours
-8% of the hours worked in the leave year, subject to a maximum of 4 weeks

An employee may use whichever of these methods gives the greater entitlement.
An employee who has worked for at least 8 months is entitled to an unbroken period of 2 weeks' annual leave. is essential for all those either currently unemployed or soon to be unemployed. The site provides invaluable information on the following topics

-Reduced Hours of Pay
-Leaving Work
-Getting Social welfare
-Money & Tax Issues
-Help with your Rent or Mortgage
-Options for Education and Training
-Going Back to Work
- Leaving Ireland

I have reviewed all sections of this site, and highly recommend you forward details to all your friends and colleagues regardless of their situation, we all should be aware, and know what options are available to us and what our rights are.

Please leave your queries or comments using the comments link below.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What should my Contract of Employment Include?

The Terms of Employment (Information) Acts 1994 and 2001 provide that an employer is obliged to provide an employee with a written statement of terms of employment within the first two months of the commencement of employment.

The statement of terms must include the following information:

-The full name of employer and employee
-The address of the employer
-The place of work
-The title of job or nature of work
-The date the employment started
-If the contract is temporary, the expected duration of the contract
-If the contract of employment is for a fixed term, the details
-Details of rest periods and breaks as required by law
-*The rate of pay or method of calculation of pay
-The pay reference period for the purposes of the National Minimum Wage Act 2000
-*Pay intervals
-*Hours of work
-*That the employee has the right to ask the employer for a written statement of his/her average hourly rate of pay as provided for in the National Minimum Wage Act 2000
-*Details of paid leave
-*Sick pay and pension (if any)
-*Period of notice to be given by employer or employee
-*Details of any collective agreements that may affect the employee’s terms of employment

Monday, February 1, 2010

What are the Income Levy Rates for Tax Year 2010?

From 1 January 2010 Income levy rates are as follows:

2% on income up to €75,036
4% on income from €75,037 to €174,980
6% on income above €174,980.

If your income is greater than the minimum threshold of €15,028 per year or €289 per week, you pay the levy on the full amount of your income. (If you are aged 65 or over the minimum threshold is €20,000 per year for a single person and €40,000 per year for a couple).