Thursday, February 25, 2010

I was Self-Employed, can i claim Job Seekers Allowance?

If you were Self-employed (i.e. your business has to close down) or you continue to be self-employed but your work has reduced so much that it no longer provides you with a sufficient income, you may qualify for a social welfare payment. You do not need to de-register as self-employed to get a social welfare payment.
Self-employed people pay Class S PRSI. Class S PRSI only covers you for certain social welfare payments. It does not cover you for Jobseeker’s Benefit, however, if you worked as an employee in the last 4 years, you may have paid Class A PRSI and should apply to your Social Welfare Local Office for Jobseeker’s Benefit.

You may however be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance, depending on your earnings from your business. You do not need to close your business or stop working as self-employed for you to get Jobseeker’s Allowance. The allowance is means tested however, and will depend on existing household income, audited accounts from your business will need to be produced. Contact your local Social Welfare office for details.

If you have any comments or queries please use the comments or email link below or visit our website @

No comments:

Post a Comment